PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shannon-2
Thread: Shannon-2
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2019, 23:01
bannercounty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cannot for the life on me understand what marketing the airport actually do but yet they get award after award and certainly market their achievements. They really need to go after the 35-120 seater aircraft market for feeder service into hubs. You never see marketing of the airport or destinations north of Gort and its one area they should be targeting with the Tuam bypass open. As for marketing abroad they are non existent except for the token mention through the Government bodies at exhibitions. Dublin is being promoted from these bodies and in fairness not on purpose but because they push DUBLIN as a gateway hub where you can fly to any where within Europe and the Middle East.

They really need to stop attending these “routes” seminars where they promote themselves along with the other 000’s of airlines. Better to actually spend the funds on marketing the properties & attractions within their own portfolio and work with the Western seaboard accommodation types such as Dromoland, Ashford, Adare, cottage rental etc. Why not have a “promo” with your gateway to the Ring of Kerry etc. Lough Derg with the boat rentals and fishing would appeal particularly to most Europeans. The airport management need to rid themselves of the civil service mentality and think outside the box.

The management seem to still have the “existing” fear of not trying to upset Ryanair or Aer Lingus.

Unless I’m mistaken it’s very difficult to see what routes and destinations are available on the new website so if someone for say in the US was planning to visit IRELAND and base themselves in an area with the idea of availing of “reasonably” priced flights to areas in Europe it would certainly rule Shannon out. As for the new website where are the pictured links to all of the attractions that the airport authority get the funds from ie Cliffs of Moher, Bunratty Castle etc.

We should have as a minimum flights on Fridays and Tuesdays to each of these hubs on a year round basis and not served with Aer Lingus or Ryanair but with the main players to offer connecting options as well as the weekend city breaks.

Amsterdam AMS

Paris CDG

Frankfurt FRA

Brexit ready they are not. Love supporting my local airport but 90% of the time I’ve to take the motorway to DUBLIN not because of point to point route availability but due to lack of connectivity from Shannon. Aer Lingus for the most part into HEATHROW means a long connection time between flights due to earlier departures from HEATHROW by other carriers. A 6am from Shannon to HEATHROW would be ideal but can never see it happening due to other reasons.

Rant over!,