PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slingsby Type 31/ Cadet TX Mk.3
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2019, 18:17
CBSITCB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First solo in a Mk III in 1971 with 643 VGS at RAF Hemswell. By then it was definitely CBSITCB.

Later as a Staff Cadet I remember occasionally setting up the field solo shortly after dawn ready for the adult staff to arrive around 0800. Tow out the caravan and winch, and then a couple of Mk IIIs to the launch point.

Towing out the gliders single-handed without trolleys was a technique handed down from Staff Cadet to Staff Cadet. It involved giving the Rover a bit of choke for RPM (can’t remember which gear), letting out the clutch, then jumping out quickly and grabbing the wingtip. Once in the vicinity of the launch point drop the wing, quickly pull the release then dash for the Rover.

Looking back now it seems horrendous, but it always went smoothly with no dramas. Of course, back then at that age we didn’t really consider all the (many!) things that could have gone wrong. Most certainly not to be recommended…

It all inspired me to follow a (non-flying) aviation career. Had to wait until retirement to get my PPL(A) a few months ago – I have a lot of catching up to do!