PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair named 'worst short-haul airline'
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2019, 10:51
Stan Woolley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 172_driver

I wasn't particularly implying pilots are poorly paid. Though cabin crew may very well end up being paid below a liveable wage, at least for any length of time. I have been contracting my services to Ryanair, I know the game. I never complained about my net salary. But I did observe an employment setup that put the money first and not the people. And that includes self-centered pilots with a sense of entitlement. I think you personally had a medical encounter while in Ryanair? And the treatment you recieved was second to none - which is great, exactly how it should be. Possibly because of the same reason you earned £120 000. You were something to them, the majority is not. Most crew are treated the same way as passengers are treated when things go awry - with contempt. You become a burden, not an asset.

The other side of this story is our consumption habits, everything has to be cheap. And there should be lots of it. But that may be too far of a digression to be considered in a thread which is about quality of an airline.
I worked for many companies before Ryanair, and I think that basically every one of them “put the money first and not the people”. And I was something valuable to them, but not after I had the stroke, and that’s when they were good to me. I’m not saying that they don’t have faults, of course they do, but I think that people are their own worst enemy. I am well aware that given a different set of circumstances, I might well have a different opinion about things. I was criticised by a member of this forum after he read my book about my flying career for having little loyalty. As a colleague of mine is quoted in the book, “When you threaten to resign, it’s no idle threat!” I replied to him that if more were like me, and didn’t put up with poor rosters, which were my particular dislike, companies would be forced to change their ways.

I now consider Ryanair family, though I rarely communicate with them. I am so grateful for their kindness, and it was kindness. They had no reason to treat me as special, but that’s how I feel.