PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Edinburgh-3
Thread: Edinburgh-3
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2019, 15:46
gghdev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, newbie here.

Originally Posted by nighthawk117
where's it going to go? The terminal is pretty much full retail wise as it is!
I wonder if they plan to develop the space where the previous exit to domestic reclaim was? Similarly, I wonder if they plan to use the equivalent space downstairs for more check-in desks. Although they have absolutely no reason to do so, I wish they'd be more open and detailed about their development plans.

Originally Posted by ScotsSLF
Having started to fly fairly regularly from EDI I do feel that the terminal extension is not befitting of an international airport. It is basically a cheaply built pre-fab and I doubt it will last long into the 20s. It really needs upgraded.
The whole building is now an endless series of extensions and bolt-ons since it opened in the 1970s. The passenger flow through the terminal is awkward to say the least. I flew EasyJet into EDI for the first time in years last month, and the walk from Gate 3 to the new domestic reclaim is long, but I guess not compared to larger airports. Crucially, though, it's not intuitive and you feel like you're walking down a fire exit when you finally get to the stairs. I think the city "deserves" a new terminal, designed according to modern airport design standards, but I'm expecting further ad hoc extensions until the piers can be extended no further. I can't see the current owner or any potential owner deciding to risk a brand new build before it's absolutely necessary?