PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA - fake pilots and cabin crew
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2019, 11:10
Derfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan_Brown
Is anyone on board able to inform me and other unwashed, why a degree is needed to operate an a/c??
A degree isn’t needed to operate an aircraft.

But I think the question some are asking is why a degree is needed by some airlines to operate their aircraft.

An employer only has limited scope to analyse whether you will be able to become a competent operator of their aircraft, and a good employee.

At high school you are spoon fed. To gain a degree you must apply yourself in an unsupervised environment. If you can succeed at this, this is an indicator of your learning ability and self-discipline - attributes important of a good airline pilot.

It still doesn’t mean you will make a good pilot, that’s why there are other aspects to the application process, but it means you probably have at least some of the attributes required, and you will be a lower risk applicant.

The degree doesn’t usually even need to be in a related field, because it’s the attributes that are important, not any particular knowledge.

That doesn’t mean for one second that a non-degree applicant won’t be just as good, it’s just that the employer doesn’t know that at that point.

My employer doesn’t require a degree, but certainly looks favourably on applicants with one.