PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Realistic threat from Drones
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2019, 02:46
tdracer

Received 157 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by HPSOV L
I don't understand; I thought the aviation industry just wanted to keep drones away from a few defined airspaces where they represent a small but real risk of damaging aircraft?
I haven't seen any serious suggestion that they be banned, which would be like, totally against your rights as an individual. Isn't it though?
Harsh.
The problem is not unlike that of firearms. The vast majority of owners use them responsibly and within the law. For many people they are not simply recreational - they serve a highly useful (and legal) purpose. But there is very small minority of owners that use them irresponsibly - and in the process creating a great threat to public health. Because it's so difficult to keep them out of the hands of the irresponsible so long as they are readily available, the urge is either highly restrict ownership (making it both difficult and expense) or simply ban the product outright.
In the US, it's already been proposed that in order to purchase a drone, you need to be FAA licensed - which would invariably get extended to all radio control aircraft.
Obviously the people who currently operate RC aircraft are less than thrilled at the prospect.