PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tora! Tora! Tora!
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2019, 00:12
b1lanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tigerfish
Just going back to basic impressions, Tora Tora Tora was light years in front of Pearl Harbour!

TTT at least tried to stick with the truth, using whatever hardware that was available to them at the time. In contrast, Pearl Harbour was a complete fantasy of the truth! making use of ships that were decades out of date, and fabricating a story line that was pure fantasy!

Pearl Harbour as a film purporting to represent fact was a film, so low brow, as to be completely impossible as a true representation of the truth In truth,! a simply dreadful film!

TF
Couldn't agree with you more. TTT was perhaps the most historically accurate WWII movie that I've watched. After I saw the trailers and clips of Pearl Harbour I decided it wasn't worth watching.

What is unfortunate though is that a number of other films were actually historically accurate, but pulled seemingly unrelated real events from a number of real occurences to weave into a movie that the paying audience would go to. That shouldn't take away from the events that happened. For example, the 1943 movie Air Force has a scene at Clark Field where the crew chief of the B-17 Mary Ann learns that his son was killed without ever getting into the air due to the preceding fighter on take-off hitting a loaded B-17 waiting to go. That event was real. The fighter taking off after that was piloted by my high school math teacher who had to take-off through that flaming wreckage. Those details are well described in action reports now in the National Archives. I hate to see individual events of heroism minimized which is precisely what I felt Pearl Harbour did in order to pacify a gloating public and over-paid 'actors'.

Last edited by b1lanc; 6th Jan 2019 at 00:35.