PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Realistic threat from Drones
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2019, 00:07
GlenQuagmire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The threat is minimal. Also, the threat that exists is not being mitigated effectively by the authorities. The drones are being flown on 2.4 with video feeds and gps information being sent between the controller and the drone itself. It is not all that difficult to intercept those streams and then you know where the drone and the controller are. Adequate laws already exist to punish people who break the law. If you run an airport and dont take precautionary steps to prevent an incursion by a drone the you are incompetent.

Drones are not allowed to fly above 400 feet so if someone decides to do that and endanger an aircraft, apply the appropriate punishment. I own a drone to carry out 3D photogrammetry and do solid modelling of objects - why should I be prevented from doing this by the aviatio industry? I am also a training captain and my job revolves around the ability to assess risk. I assess the risk of drones to be vanishingly small. I would very much like the industry to do some proper research instead of bleating on in the press with scaremongering rubbish based on nothing.