PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety around propellers
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 20:56
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
My 2c - I am not overly familiar with Rotaxes but understand many are shut down by turning mags off rather than cutting mixture(?). If so, in that case you would be likely to detect a live mag on shutdown because the engine would keep running so you would know if there was an issue there. Effectively you are forced to do a live mag check every shutdown.

Whilst not impossible, I am guessing it would be pretty unlikely for a mag to cut OK on shutdown and then go live afterwards.

Also for the prop to fire you need a suitable fuel mixture available in at least one cylinder - I would assume that would be unlikely if the aircraft hadn't been recently running. If a warm engine though... I would be more cautious.

I think if you are doing the oil pull-through process you require, on a cold engine that you personally have shut down from the last flight, handling the prop would be unlikely to be a high risk.

Doesn't mean you treat props casually - ie don't stand where you could be struck if moving it.

(NB If hand swinging to start, rather than to check oil or adjust blade position, that should involve more care).

That is me personally. You need to make your own decisions though. Other's may have differing opinions.