PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety around propellers
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 20:37
mikemmb

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mikehallam
Untill I read the above discussion before Christmas I 'thought' I was careful when ground handling handling my 80 h.p. Rotax powered Rans at my strip.
It set me thinking on how I might operate more safely and wrote the following proto checklist; it's initially for discussion here - bearing in mind it's one man alone at the strip and not so complicated please that one abandons using any checks.

Precaution Treat the Propeller as Always LIVE - A handling regime.

With hot or cold engine even with both ignition 'kill' switches turned to off, turning the propeller could cause it to suddenly fire either forwards or in reverse due to a hot spot or a single 'kill' switch wiring could have an intermittent open circuit.
Rotax never-the-less require the propeller of a cold engine to be rotated forwards by hand many turns to blow crankcase oil back up into the tank to check oil level, & to ascertain there is no hydraulic lock.
Precautions :-
a) Always chock the main wheels.
b) Tie back stick.
c) Throttle closed.
d) Both Ignition switches OFF.
e) Stand on firm ground and rotate the propeller keeping one's arms, body and clothing away from its arc.
f) Pulling the a/c out of its hangar holding the propeller roots reqires equal care.
g) Once in the cockpit ready for engine start, shout "CLEAR PROP" and wait at least 7 to 10 seconds for it to register to anyone unseen outside before operating the starter..
If possible avoid post flight prop/compression checking, it is even more risky.
But, with care as above, the propeller might need turning to re-position an upwards pointing blade to clear the hangar entrance beam for pushing back inside.

Could readers kindly comment ?
Not strictly Ground Handling, but regular Mag Checks will reduce the risk of a faulty mag switch or wiring creeping up on you!