PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA says air taxis within 5 years
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 03:56
neville_nobody

Received 138 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_RR
Whilst I agree with you that a tilt wing/rotor is a desirable, perhaps necessary aspect of a viable eVTOL solution, I think to suggest that Boeing "having trouble with the concept" as a bar to all others being successful is painting with a broad brush indeed! Sure there's been some issues since the XV15 days and the V22 isn't without issues but that hasn't stopped the roll-out of the V280 nor the AW609. All of these craft are monsters compared with what I think is necessary for an Über air taxi business model They also offer good lessons in what actually works in real life.
However neither of those types are certified. My point is that for such a radical design, if aerospace companies are having problems over a 20 year design phase then why do Uber think they are going to get this up and running with electric motors in 5 years??? Why not just stick to a fixed rotor? It's not like you need speed to fly around a 60-100NM radius which is what most cities would be.

In regard to fixed reserves or battery power available, they are already pushing for FAA waivers.

As mentioned previously this is just a PR exercise and by going to the regulators they are gaining free publicity and credibility.

You can read all about it here: Elevate Whitepaper