PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwheel PPL - London
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2019, 03:35
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
One thing, however, never varied. He taught me to do a wheeler landing whenever landing cross wind. This is where you allow the main wheels to brush the runway while you still have flying speed. You then move the control column forward to remove any positive angle of attack causing the aeroplane to roll along the runway on her main wheels while you keep her tail up with the elevators.

You allow the speed to fall off while holding the tail up and the aeroplane straight and as close as possible to the centre line of the runway. As the speed falls off, you will find yourself moving the control column further and further forward to keep the tail up, while applying more and more into wind aileron and more and more away-from-wind rudder to keep her straight. Eventually, you will be unable to hold the tail up any longer and it will sink gently onto the runway and the aeroplane will roll to a halt with the flying controls now very crossed - the stick fully forward with full into wind aileron and full away from wind rudder.
This.

In my tailwheel aircraft every landing is a wheel landing. If I fly someone else's taildragger, I will wheel land it, unless expressly told to three point (which I have never been). The only taildragger, in which I have had formal training (turbine DC-3) it was required that all landings be wheel landings.

I highly advise that any new pilot seeks out competent training in a taildragger if you can find it. Yes, you'll take a little longer to gt through the training, but when you're finished, you'll be a much better pilot - forever. Other pilots notice this. Years ago I was test flying a Twin Otter (which is tricycle), with a very experienced pilot new to me. After my second landing he turned, and said to me: "You fly tailwheel a lot, don't you?". "Yes", I replied, "what makes you ask?". He said: "Cause you use the rudder!". From him, I took this as a high complement, and I will harp on pilots who are lazy with the rudder. Learn on a taildragger, and you'll never have lazy feet! By the way, if you ever move on to helicopter training, you'll be ahead of the game there too!