PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2019, 01:41
13Beast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me chime in here.

Originally Posted by Robertsmith39
I didn’t do physics or 2 unit maths in High School. That’s fixable by a TAFE course, not a huge barrier.

Neither did I. This has never been mentioned nor raised in any way by DFR - and I am now past ASP, OSB and am waiting on a LOO for RAAF pilot. Caveat; I am 38 and hold two degrees; one Arts degree (useless!) and a Mechanical Engineering degree. Whether I have slipped through the cracks or if it is "waived" due to age and/or tertiary education, I am not sure.

[QUOTE=Robertsmith39;10341920]
Originally Posted by Robertsmith39
Second is that I wear glasses for a shocking astigmatism in my left eye. Also fixable by laser surgery but might preclude me from passing an aircrew medical.

Third and probably most prohibitive I feel is I’ve been diagnosed as a very mild asthmatic for some years. If I was to apply, would I be wasting my time?
I had corrective laser surgery performed in mid-2016 due to being classed as Med 4 - unfit. At the time I did some inquiries, and PRK surgery was the only one accepted for any AIRCREW position. The ADF does accept other forms of laser surgery for other non-aircrew roles however. This may or may not have changed since 2016.

Furthermore, with regards to your asthma, I had a guy going for pilot on my ASP who had asthma. I asked him about it and he got the doc to check him out and it was all good (at least at that point in time). DFR didn't seem overly concerned with it in his case. He was very early 20s and is now waiting for an OSB for RAN pilot. Take that with a grain of salt though, as everybody's experience with DFR and DFR Medical can differ.