PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SR-71, The Blackbird
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2018, 11:55
VIProds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sainnt Jack
VIProds; Prior to reading the book I too thought that the SR-71 would almost have certainly flown over the USSR, Russia and China during its service (..."flew the fist successful overflight of the USSR from Mildenhall."). However the author, on Page 86, states quite categorically that "....One of the biggest myths surrounding the SR-71 reconnaissance program is that the plane has overflown the USSR and China. In truth, neither the A-12 nor the SR-71 has ever overflown the landmass of the USSR or China. after Gary Powers was shot down on 1st May 1960 over Russia, no US President would authorize direct overflights of the two superpowers...."
Saint Jack: I read that in the book too. I clearly remember the speaker at Duxford saying he took the SR-71 out into to Barents Sea & wound it up to full power before entering Soviet airspace. It could have been "poetic licence", but it did sound genuine at the time. It's a shame that I didn't record the talk! That being the case, what is the point of having SR-71's? Rather expensive play things. Saying that, I have a list of pilots, RSO's & VIP's that flew in the SR-71 & there are quite a few US Senators mentioned.
AIRBUBBA: I have looked for the names that you mention & the only similarities are::-
Pilots
Maj Brian McCallom 5 May 67
Capt Richard McCrary 8 Apr 81
RSO's
Maj Barry MacKean 8 Sept 78
Capt Joseph McCue 24 Sept 82
Capt Ed McKim 5 Nov 80