PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 gross over-run accident. Time overdue to fix the simulator syllabus.
Old 29th Dec 2018, 07:58
Uplinker

Received 95 Likes on 56 Posts
When flying a Cessna 172 or a Seneca 3 or even a 19 seat turboprop into commercial airports, the runways are usually so much longer than required, one can get away with a (too) fast approach and still land and stop safely, (as I occasionally discovered in my early training years, ahem ).

However when one gets onto a medium to heavy jet, the runways become more potentially limiting and one simply cannot take liberties and get away with continuing an unstable approach.

A typical definition of a stable IMC approach is :
At no later than 1000’ AAL, you must be :
On LOC within 1/2 dot
On Glide within 1/2 dot
On final approach speed within -5 and +10 kts, (and trending back to Vapp)
Engines spooled up
Aircraft in correct landing configuration.
Landing checklist completed.

If we don’t meet these criteria, simply go-around. Most Chief pilots won’t even bother asking us about it because they will be happy that we took the safe option and did not bend their aeroplane. However, if one continues a grossly unstable approach and goes off the end like the herbert in this thread, you will most definitely speak with the Chief pilot who will say. “Give me your airside pass. Here is your P45. There is the door.”

So, if unstable at 1000’ IMC; the choice we have is very simple: Go-around, or Look for a new job.

PS, Crewing or duty hour problems are not our problem. Never fly dangerously because of them