PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Florida Air Museums
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2018, 15:06
A_Van

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monitor NASA launch schedule from KSC (and the neighboring AF station).

E.g., the following URL "says" that a launch may take place in March:

Targeted Date: March
Mission: Commercial Crew Boeing Orbital Flight Test (Uncrewed)Description: NASA and industry partners are targeting the return of human spaceflight from Florida’s Space Coast. These flight tests will prove the space systems meet NASA’s requirements for certification to carry astronauts to and from the International Space Station. For this uncrewed flight test, Boeing’s Starliner spacecraft will launch on a United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket from Space Launch Complex 41 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.

Good places to view the launch are:

1. Cocoa beach. Not the closest place but very comfortable. You may even take a seat at a bar on a pier and watch the start. Or just sit or walk enjoying the sandy beach.

2. Entrance to Port Canaveral.
Take Rd 528 from Orlando until Indian River where it becomes 1A1, then cross this river, then cross Merritt Island and Banana river. Descending from the bridge over Banana make a 270-deg right turn and take a road to Port Canaveral Cruise terminal (just 500 m or so). You will immediately see cars parked everywhere (of those who arrived earlier).

Unfortunately, the US launchs are quite unpredictable and often re-scheduled shortly before the pre-defined time. Patience is needed. I recall I was making 3 consecutive trips every next night (in late 90's) to show the launch to my (teenage at that time) son. Ironically, I was not able to bring him to Baikonur (because of security).