PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 gross over-run accident. Time overdue to fix the simulator syllabus.
Old 25th Dec 2018, 05:03
exfocx

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm likely to get yelled down here, by here goes anyway.

Imo, I think that crews trained in the last decade or so seem to not have an understanding what an unstable approach is, other than a written criteria from their SOPs. By that I mean there seems to be no "feel" other than be able to note an exceedance without understanding the likely implications.

The Garuda B737 flight, if my memory is correct, passed over the threshold F5 and 190 kts. How the hell could ANYONE not understand that unless you were landing on a 3500+m you are going off the end. Even if you were landing on say 4000m you are so far behind the 8 ball in situational awareness, you should be getting out and doing it again.

"The tailwind was 16 knots. The crew accepted and continued to a straight in approach.
During final and after dropping the landing gear, the aircraft was not configured to the correct landing configuration, the flaps were set to Flaps One at height of 650 feet AGL, multiple GPWS warnings were triggered but disregarded by the crew (First Officer was PF throughout), the high speed was not corrected by the crew efficiently and the aircraft continued to the landing runway."

Again, how could any crew not see this config at this point as having no option BUT to GA? Forget stabilised app criteria, forget the GPWS barking in your ear, you are not even in the ball park to land!

In my early career, before unstable approaches started to be tackled seriously I saw a number that landed safely, usually a higher speed, but still configured correctly and over the threshold at the right speed, or a higher sink below 1000' but never > 1500fpm and corrected by 300' and never on limiting runways (I was an FO). I'm not calling for any return, just a comment that crews seems to have lost an understanding of what a dangerous approach even looks like. I don't wait 'til 500' to give away an unstable approach, you should be able to judge the likelihood of being stable and I usually have given it away by 1000'. A GA from 500' just unnecessarily raises pax anxiousness for no reason.

My Co SA height is 500' vmc, mine is 1000'

I can't remember an unstable IMC approach.