PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pay to fly a320
Thread: Pay to fly a320
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 20:02
HVYMETAL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrmyl
luai, what we are all trying to say is this. NEVER, EVER, pay for your job. Let them pay you. There is enough of a shortage of pilots now that these companies need to learn they have to provide proper compensation if they expect to do business. Making pilots pay for their position is ridiculous and demeaning. Don't demean yourself. Shop around and find a job that pays you to be there.
This is good advice. Flying is fun but it's still a job. If you pay for a job you will regret in the long run I promise and it will be a stain on your resume. Your fellow pilots will resent you for it and future employers will think the you're a safety issue, especially in today's hiring environment. Save your money and invest it in property stocks, whatever. Or, if you don't have the money don't put grandma's house or your credit on the line, it's not worth it and can go badly for everyone if it doesn't work. The flight hours and experience will come if you really want it, fly as much and as often if you can. Even if you're only flying a 172 you are still gaining experience and that counts. A door will open, I promise, then that will lead to another and another. Just make sure you're ready, stepping up to a bigger airplane is always tough. I survived in the US on $15,000 a year as a CFI from 2008-2012 and worked part-time jobs to make ends meet, and now I'm making 6 figures on a widebody. I'm not rolling in the dough or dancing with glee, I do enjoy the job but you are just trading one set of challenges for another. I have and still am considering going back to GA, I want to sleep in my own bed, spend more time with family and be well rested, if I can only find a job that pays commensurate. I'm so happy I didn't fall victim for a P2P.

Be safe and Happy Holidays.