PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Avmed – In my opinion, a biased, intellectually dishonest regulator
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 03:02
Falling Leaf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone who has been denied a Class 1 had a Class 2 issues instead by their DAME or CASA under the new Class 1 exemption (2018)? I jump through a number of hoops every year being under CASA audit for my Class 1, but now only need a Class 2 for my work. I have a horrible feeling though, that CASA and most DAME's treat Class 2 the same way; with the same level of 'aeromedical risk'.

If this is the case, it goes against CASA's own guidance material stating the new 'Class 1 exemption' is to allow pilots to continue their flying careers under the less restrictive Class 2 if they couldn't meet the requirements of a Class 1, or were finding maintaining a Class 1 'too onerous'.

Will be interesting to see if this is actually going to be the case, or is a Class 2 in CASA eyes only less onerous as you get to renew it every 2 years? I note that in the DAME's handbook, the two classes of medical seem to have identical requirements in the tables...

Last edited by Falling Leaf; 24th Dec 2018 at 05:53.