PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 23:45
golder

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by weemonkey
Well somebody does!

An RAF source told the Sunday Express: “This situation obviously has to be rectified before the plane enters operational service”.

They said Mr Williamson and RAF chief Air Chief Marshal Sir Stephen Hillier had always been aware of the problem.

"Another company spokesman said: “Stealth maintenance on the F-35 is proving to be a significant success. It requires less maintenance and…is easier, more affordable and faster to repair compared to previous low-observable aircraft”.

"But Air Commodore Andrew Lambert, a former RAF director of defence studies, said: “Lockheed Martin says it’s better now, but it takes just one scratch to give the fighter jet the same radar profile as a 747, the you may as well not be bothering”.

Still I wouldn't worry too much, they wont ever be fighting anyone important.
I would have to go digging, but some may recall the test where there was deliberately, significant damage done to the wing in several places. There was a picture and description, showing what was done. It still met it's RCS requirements.

I think they may be referring to the IR spray coat? I haven't really gone into it a lot. I would assume there may be an additional final protective coat, for the IR coating.