PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prostate cancer
Thread: Prostate cancer
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 08:05
Effluent Man

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My story really is a plea to get PSA tested. At Christmas 2014 my wife visited an ex neighbour to drop off a card. Her husband was a football season ticket holder and he had noticed that during half time he no longer had the energy to make his way down for a drink and back before the match restarted. A routine visit to his GP revealed prostate cancer that had spread and was now stage 4.

My dad had prostate issues so I visited my GP. His finger said I was ok but a PSA test was 21. Consultant gave me the finger and agreed with my GP. A biopsy (walk in the park in my case, felt like someone flicking you inside with a rubber band) revealed a Gleason score of 3+3 so cancerous but fairly low grade, non aggressive and present on just one sample of 14
Another consultant said he was puzzled by the disparity between a. 21 PSA and the relatively benign biopsy result.

i had hormone injections and 37 spins in the radio machine in January 2016. My PSA subsequently fell in six monthly checks to 6, 1.8 and 0.6. Last month my new ( Lovely Scottish lady) consultant told me that despite my hormone treatment finishing my PSA was now 0.2 and one of the edge of the best outcomes she had seen. The moral of this is pretty clear - GET CHECKED.!!