PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down outside Leicester City Football Club
Old 18th Dec 2018, 12:17
Pozidrive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hoistop
Thanks, crab - I understand well, how follow-up hydraulic servo control mechanism works, believe me.
I am (still) wondering if piston is trully part of control shaft, or control shaft passes thru the hydraulic cylinder and is clamped/attached... to (hollow)piston somehow - in other words, did rotation of (undone) control shaft strain seals of hydraulic cylinder in a way they are not designed to or not? It is an important question.
If answer is yes, it means that in case this failure occured in cruise and pilot managed to somehow maintain (some) control, he might be soon faced with massive hydraulic leak - loss of hyd. system as a consequence. If this servoactuator is powered by both hyd systems, (two pistons one on top of other and dual spool valves as in standard dual servoactuators) both systems would probably soon leak hyd. fluid, rendering helicopter uncontrollable.
That was my original point, which still hasn't been answered. The bulletin clearly says what you say - "the control shaft passes through an outer shaft, which forms part of the … piston"