PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aberdeen-2
Thread: Aberdeen-2
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2018, 17:45
alwayslookingup

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Asturias56
Bit hard blaming AIA for the fact the region's prosperity is based on one, volatile, industry.
Originally Posted by Asturias56

Logically ABZ has been provided with good air links because of the oil industry - once you slow/stop that it's back to a medium size city without a major business attraction.

It has a limited hinterland, reasonable road and rail links and not well known as a tourist destination.

This is not a recipe for vast investment or lots of flights

I disagree. With the pressure on Scotland's other main tourist destinations increasing year on year, Aberdeen is positioning itself pretty well to take advantage of increasing Scottish tourism. We have easy access to plenty of golf courses, castles and distilleries, as well as world renowned Royal Deeside and the Cairgorms. The latter, as well as other surrounding countryside, provide a multitude of extreme sports opportunities, for local residents as well as tourists. The AWPR is pretty much open now. New exhibition & conference centre (TECA, The Event Centre Aberdeen) is on target for July 2019 opening, as is new cruise liner harbour at Nigg Bay. New football stadium construction has started at Westhill, Music Hall refurb is complete and open, Art Gallery work in progress. Marischal Square gradually leasing space. Dualling of rail line Aberdeen to Inverurie is 50% complete (Aberdeen to Dyce, Dyce to Inverurie to be done next year). Planning consent granted for expansion of Union Square, which will in effect become the centre of town retail and entertainment. Counteswells new town development in progress, as is Chapleton of Elsick. So, I wouldn't write us off just yet. Only one fly in the ointment as far as I can see, and that's the state of the Eastern end of Union Street. Easy solution to that, and as plain as the nose on their faces, is for Council to pedestrainise it, Bridge Street to Market Street or even Castle Street. Having travelled the AWPR a couple of times this week I am confident of a viable future for the City long after its main sustaining industry is in decline.