PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SWA 737 overrun at BUR - Dec 6 2018
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2018, 03:32
Capn Bloggs

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Ancient Geek
All modern aids such as ILS and PAPI are calibrated for the piano keys Fixed Distance markings so the actual landing distance available is less than the runway length which can become an issue for shorter runways in poor weather conditions.
Apart from the mixup with Piano Keys and the Fixed Distance markings at 1000ft in, this statement isn't right. The LDR takes into account an air-run distance from 50ft to touchdown. In my aeroplane the air-run distance is 455m, almost 1500ft. "Duck under" and use part of that 455m to roll along on if you wish, but the LDR figures assume you will take 455m/1500ft to get the wheels on the ground.

Originally Posted by Flight Detent
Arriving on a decreased angle (3 red) carries higher pitch, more thrust, flatter sink and in general results in a longer touchdown and a higher speed at wheel spin-up.
I think those effects are overstated. But more importantly, flying three reds allow you to plant it with almost no flare. In my experience, it is the type of flare that is the thing that most-affects the touchdown point. Not that I am suggesting you routinely fly three reds!