PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2018, 15:15
RexBanner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Angry from Purley
Rex - unfortunately the regulation requires you to manage your commute and the AOC has a right to know. It can't be coincidence that the two UK Airlines who have had CAA approved FRMS for many years both have crew members commuting protocols. Its not just about crewmembers the AOC has a right to protect the brand. As always the AOC has to make "rules" to manage the 5% (much less at BA). Don't forget the biggest risk to Aircrew isn't on the aircraft unfortunately it's the drive home.
The regulations talk about people whose journey to work usually exceeds 90 minutes. BA have targeted people whose journey takes less than this, I know that for a fact. A few Amsterdam commuters have received phone calls for instance. easyJet did not audit staff travel to see when people were arriving in their bases and, to the best of my knowledge, still do not so let’s not pretend that this is mandated by the regulator.

It’s discriminatory towards a single segment of the workforce (ie the commuter who travels by air) because, short of hiring private investigators, BA are not going to be monitoring people who drive to work.

I’ve flown with a captain who drove down same morning from Manchester for an early LHR report. Yet the commuter who spends 8h 52m in base overnight having flown in that evening from Amsterdam gets the sh*tty phone call whilst he walks around with impunity. There is nothing right about that scenario and yet it is going on all the time.