PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down outside Leicester City Football Club
Old 11th Dec 2018, 21:34
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by jimjim1
Regarding duplex bearing side nut.

Yes - as long as God was flying alongside holding the nut:-)

Thing is that the nut is not held by anything. Instead the shaft is prevented from rotating because it is clamped to the feedback arm on the far side. If the inner race began to turn on the shaft because of forces transmitted through the failing bearing the inner race would rotate anti-clockwise relative to the shaft. This might tend to UN-screw the nut on the shaft.

Since the split pin on that nut remained intact the nut was not rotated very much if at all. The AAIB say that the release torque on the nut was higher than expected - however no cause or explanation for this is actually stated. Tightening was not caused by the nut being rotated by forces transmitted through the failed duplex bearing.

Two earlier posts mentioned this aspect of the geometry also, I apologise that I have not credited them but at present I don't want to take the time to look for the posts.
Jimjim, I see what you are saying. But if the higher than expected torque on the starboard nut wasn't caused by the bearing failure, where did it come from?