PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737MAX Stab Trim architecture
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2018, 00:08
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute Megan!
You can attribute my quotes, but I recognized it right away.
From megan
I wonder if the systems incorporated may prove to be installed to satisfy some certification clause, but not actually bringing any real benefit in the ability of the pilot to exercise control.
I feel that Megan has nailed it above, but it would be nice for us to see the pitch authority at various AoA and stick force gradient that seems to be a factor in certification. Many here are real aero folks and mostly pilots. We can handle it.

Being from the military "cert" community, I flew a few designs that would prolly have not been certified by the U.S. or other country aviation bureaus. I even flew one that failed several pitch and roll gradient specs, but USAF produce a few hundred and we flew the suckers because we had good checkouts and were briefed at length on the "waivers". I contrast this with the hapless crew on that Lion Air jet.

Added..... I flew one type that behaved just like all the aerodynamic classes said it should. Right up to about a degree or so of the critical AoA, and then whahooo!!! It was the VooDoo, so youse can look it up, but the real explantion is hard to find. The thing gave plenty warning when subsonic unless you yanked back real quick. But we had a "pusher" that used AoA and pitch rate and stick force to "help" us. However, the stick force per gee and rate and such was perfectly within the military certification requiremnts until that tiny degree of AoA before the pitch-up. And then any more back stick /AoA exhibited what we called the stick "getting light", and if you persisted, then you witnessed the wahoo, heh heh.

Glad we can discuss stuff here. Guess the casual folks on the main forum think they must be aero engineers of test pilots to be here.

Gums sends...