PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAF acquisition of British Airways Viscount 800s.
Old 10th Dec 2018, 13:12
Mooncrest

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thank you WHBM - difficult to disagree with your summary of the BAS/BEA relationship. More digression but I understand Northeast also provided a Trident for the LHR-ABZ route at one point and operated a few European flights from Heathrow, Klagenfurt and Biarritz IIRC. One wonders if these were BEA routes contracted to their 'child' or Northeast's own ??

I have it on good authority that a Cambrian aircraft - a 1-11, I think - only visited LBA once, on a football charter. However, I have also heard that the Cambrian Viscounts also underwent maintenance at Northeast's LBA hangar, as well as at Cardiff. Who knows for sure ? Forty-plus years ago !

It would be interesting to know if any Viscount pilots remained with the aircraft from Cambrian/Northeast, through to BA and onward to BAF/BWA. I can imagine there might have been significant redundancies once the fleet was parked at Cardiff as I don't think they were replaced immediately. This time also coincided with BA withdrawing from several domestic routes.