PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down outside Leicester City Football Club
Old 9th Dec 2018, 14:13
nodrama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Onceapilot
badly written, incorrect or confusing.
OAP
Forget the fact that I have type knowledge, from a maintenance engineer's point of view I found the report poorly written, with poor terminology, and confusing. This has been proven by the majority of the posts and questions in this thread since the report was published.
The use of the word 'solenoid', as quoted above, was incorrect and misleading. As has been pointed out, a solenoid is an electrical-mechanical component. I would refer to the item that the report is referring to as a servo valve, or spool valve. These are standard hydraulic servo component terms.
The AW169 tail rotor servo and pitch control system really is pretty straight forward and not particularly unique, compared to some I've seen over the years. It's not always easy though to visualise these things unless you have one in front of you, or a series of detailed photos. I still think that the report could have done a better job of clearly relaying the technical information to the industry and public.