PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 7th Dec 2018, 11:19
Kennytheking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hitansh
What's the problem in working in EK these days ?
To be honest, EK is not such a bad gig. I enjoy the actual operation, but there are some realities to working here. To sum up 3850 hours in the last 4 years. Add in some deadhead time and sim trainings all of which is not logged or paid, and we are at over 4 000 hours for 4 years much of it across 12 time zones and between the hours of 3am and 8am. Now this in itself is not the end of the world, but it is simply unsustainable for the next 15 years until I hit 65.

Given the unsustainable levels, many pilots will be looking at a 10 year window. Given you will spend, say, 6 years of that as an FO, with kids, you will not be saving anything. That leaves you with 4 good years to save. Your wife will be unlikely to find work, unless she is well qualified. Given that, you must ask yourself if it is worth it.

My reality is somewhat darker. I ask myself, if I were to die at the age of 56, do I really want to do this for the rest of my life. The answer is no, despite the fact that I am actually one of the positive guys around here.

The age of new recruits is dropping.....maybe it will be different for the youngsters but I'm looking for the exit.

Like many, if EK were to offer part time, I would be here for the rest of my life. But they don't and won't even consider it..........nothing more to say.