PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Politics Hamsterwheel MkII
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2018, 18:12
pattern_is_full

As a Yank, I have no desire to take sides in the BrExit scenarios. I might even agree that most Leave voters indeed thought they were voting for a "hard" BrExit. Done and dusted. But I would point out a couple of logical flaws in the following:

Originally Posted by Nomad2 View Post
If you wish to join a club, it's reasonable to negotiate the conditions under which you join, and to pay a joining fee.

What's not reasonable, is negotiating with the club on your conditions- and paying a fee- when you leave!

I guess that would depend on what you (or the UK) signed up for on joining the club. If you agreed to obey all the club rules, present and future - and those rules state that you will pay Club fees for 3 years after leaving - then that is what you (or the UK) signed you name to. Either you do what you contracted to do, or your end up in negotiations to do something else.

Originally Posted by Nomad2 View Post
Heard an interesting comment re the much discussed border issue between NI and Eire. The question was simply asked, it's a border between Eire and Northern Ireland only.
Northern Ireland doesn't wish a hard border.
Eire doesn't wish a hard border.
Soif neither party wants one, who could possibly construct and administer such a border apart from NI and Eire?
There is a border between Poland and Belarus. It also happens to be a border between the EU and Belarus. I imagine the EU has quite some say in how that border is operated, regarding trade, immigration, etc., and that it is not strictly a question for Poland and Belarus alone.

If the UK leaves the EU, then the border between Eire and Northern Ireland also becomes a border between the EU and Northern Ireland/the UK. And I expect the EU would expect the same controls there that it has over any other part of its border. Unless negotiations lead to special status.