PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down outside Leicester City Football Club
Old 6th Dec 2018, 14:42
GAPU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
My reading of this is that the duplex bearing was overheating, binding and then seizing, causing rotation of the control shaft which undid the castellated nut and removed the pitch control of the TR allowing the servo to go to the 'full right pedal' position.

I don't care how many times you practice in the sim, that one is pretty unrecoverable from that height and speed.

The question is - is this an assembly issue (bearing end nut over torqued) or a maintenance issue? The aircraft was quite young.......
​​​​​​From the Special Update "The observed condition of the duplex bearing and the increased torque load on the castellated nut that remained on the spider end of the shaft is consistent with rotation of the tail rotor actuator control shaft."

I read that to mean that they think the increased torque on that nut was caused by the rotation of the control shaft - for the reasons you gave. Maintenance issue or defective bearing ??