PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Author would like some advice on aircraft related matters
Old 6th Dec 2018, 11:55
double_barrel

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hotel Tango
Not that I disagree with you, but it only really applies to those of us in the business. The vast majority of readers won't have a clue. I have read loads of novels involving subjects I know nothing or very little about in terms of factual accuracy. I just enjoy the story line. Of course, when I read an aviation based novel I become critical of inaccurate facts and it does affect my enjoyment of the book. I think an author has to find the right balance between reality and nonsense. Not always an easy task.
Interesting, I'm not sure how far I can suspend my disbelief, it probably depends on other distractions in the storyline. I imagione that I can detect a 'technically consistent' storyline even in an area I know little or nothing about - eg toys associated with modern warfare. And even in sci-fi, I can accept a Universe with any properties, but I get tetchy if they are not consistently or logically applied, because the whole plot becomes arbitrary. I can accept that an engine runs on unobtanium, but please be consistent about its nature and capabilities

Maybe I am just weird!