PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RFDS Pilatus PC24
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2018, 05:00
Bend alot

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
We assume the RFDS may have used experience of using this jet (below) to base their decision on to put a jet in Broome.

evacuating 867 patients, the majority (73.9 per cent) from the more distant Kimberley and Pilbara regions.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/...b5776943ea17b3

mactuk - FGD was assuming that the Broome base is an "on call", it seems with those staff numbers it might not be. While I will agree the new jet will be used selectively on a selected few unsealed runways, I don't agree it will only be used when beneficial time wise or convenient and it would be hard to use it when "unavailable".

With the introduction of the C441 (first turbine) into the WA fleet it was used if it could do the job, however during my time there they were only based in Jandakot - I don't know if that changed.

They will have a formula/policy for using the jet and several things need to be taken into account including number of patients and where the patients need to be taken.

It will be interesting to find out if the Perth Based or the Broome base jet is utilised more, on the above numbers I would put Broome as the favourite.