Old 5th Dec 2018, 17:51
India Four Two

Virtually sailing across the Southern Ocean at hull speed in a slow boat is just a matter of optimizing your downwind course.

The real thing is a completely different matter!

British yachtswoman Susie Goodall was pitchpoled and dismasted in the Southern Ocean some 2,000 miles west of Cape Horn today.
Goodall, (29) from Falmouth UK, and the youngest competitor in the Golden Globe Race, was lying in 4th place at the time, riding out a ferocious storm with 60 knot winds and massive seas aboard her Rustler 36 yacht DHL Starlight.

In her last text message to Race Control received before the dismastig at 08:29 UTC,, she reported’ TAKING A HAMMERING! WONDERING WHAT ON EARTH I’M DOING OUT HERE

In a subsequent message, received at 12:23 UTC, she wrote: DISMASTED. HULL OK. NO FORM OF JURY RIG, TOTAL LOSS Position: 45′ 27.787 S 122′ 23.537 W.

After 3 attempts, Race HQ was able to raise Goodall on her emergency satellite phone when she confirmed: “I have been dismasted. Thought I had holed the hull because the boat filled with water, but the hull is NOT holed. The hull is OK.

The boat is destroyed. I can’t make up a jury rig. The only thing left is the hull and deck which remain intact.

We were pitchpoled [rolled end over end] and I was thrown across the cabin and knocked out for a while. “
https://goldengloberace.com/day-157-...-of-cape-horn/