PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors teaching full rudder to "pick up" dropped wing.
Old 4th Dec 2018, 23:46
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
another 2c from me.

The spin follows the stall and is a stalled manouvre. If we teach students to use ailerons in the stall to "pick up the wing" (because most modern aircraft retain effective aileron in the stall) but not to do that in a spin, I think that is expecting a bit much - I have seen more than once (many times in fact) pilots who are introduced to a stall off a climbing turn (often who have never had it introduced in their ab initio training) who frantically try and correct by using full deflection aileron as the aircraft starts to autorotate and also who seeing the aircraft rapidly pitch down, pull back hard. In a panic situation this is not a great response. Reinforcing aileron use in the stall is something I feel is not doing students a good service.

I have no problem teaching people to neutralise ailerons and if necessary use appropriate rudder in the stall (NB *not* to "pick up the wing" but to stop any associated yaw - allow the wing to be low - don't let the nose start wandering though ). If they become adept at this (falling leaf great for this) they will hopefully be more likely to use the same technique if the aircraft ever autorotates or enters a full developed spin.

That way we use a common technique in all stalled manouvres rather than one for the stall and one if it is developing into (or is) a spin.