PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2018, 19:45
Jumbo2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bex88
May I ask, are you SH or LH? Would you take a SH command?
of course you can; I'm in the top 25% Shorthaul by now and have a fair bit of bidding power but staying well clear of a command. The reason; the extra pay is not worth the sacrifice in lifestyle. With the time I've left in this career (over 35 years) why rush things?

I know you had been more then 5 years in BA when you went to the left but listening to junior FO's who are less then 2 years in, getting a command and then start complaining about the pay and lifestyle are beyond me and I really struggle to have any empathy for them. As a junior FO going for command (less then 5-8 years in) you might make 400 ponds more a month (because of less efficient lines) but you will get all the leftovers on your roster with plenty of TASS (BA has got the most transparent rostering system I've seen in any airline so it is easy to see what rosters junior P1's are getting). If they don't realise this before going for their command then they haven't done their homework or where foolishly blinded by the P1 status. The pay structure in BA hasn't changed (I'm pretty sure if you take the average pay of all SH P1's and compare that to other UK operators it isn't that far off) and neither did the rostering policy change in the last few years (until JSS now but we only know in 7 days how that is working out).

So with all the information available before one decides to bid for a command (nobody is forcing you to bid for a command anyway) there is no point of complaining about the T&C's afterwards is there?