PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian aircraft missing off Jakarta
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2018, 16:25
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute FC! and 'bird, and Garage and Retired!

Nice to have discussion with pilots, although many folks on these forums have a lot to contribute. That is, except that "there I was" experience we fliers have had, heh heh.

Yep. Without data records for all the entities, I cannot plot basic regression curves and look at record by record values, find correlations with crew inputs and aircraft responses. Hell. I would love to see attitudes - roll, pitch and yaw. Altitude and speed with greater resolution, and the beat goes on.

I can't see a significant speed increase after they tried to level off, and the minor ( my term) changes do not seem to be reflected in stab position commanded by Hal or the crew.

Nevertheless, I see a crew that did not turn off the stab trim like the previous flight, but valiantly fought to keep control with stick shaker going, some warning displays on something or other. As you point out, FC, they never trimmed back to the "original" stab position, but only enuf to reduce Hal's down trim cmd and then his 5 second waiting period before we start the drill over. So an ever increasing back stick on the whole until "the event", whatever the hell that was.

To be honest, I would rather have Hal keep putting in trim once I released the switch on the control yoke and not wait a few seconds. So I then might analyze the problem as "runaway trim" !! Voila!! But I didn't know about the 5 second delay or the down trim by Hal when not flying a profile that STS would be using to trim nose down. The basic comment, "STS working back wards" that the crew likely saw in the log will be discussed in the final report, I assure you.

Gums sends...

Last edited by gums; 4th Dec 2018 at 16:28. Reason: added accolades to contributors