PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AusJet Aviation/Australasian Jet in liquidation
Old 2nd Dec 2018, 11:35
Flying Bear

Received 44 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Horatio Leafblower
Care to expand on that?.
I doubt he will...

Not familiar with the first few listed - but PNG accidents (Kiunga) don’t discriminate by type of engine - the other factors up there are usually heaps more relevant in why accidents happen.

However:

Bathurst Island (approx 2010) - a C310 flown by a young lad most likely suffered from somatogravic illusion during a night take-off. No pax on board. Inexperienced with apparently no training from within his company for flight by night. Nothing could be found wrong with the aircraft that led to the crash, from what I heard. Most likely not the aircraft’s fault.

Macarthur River - if he means the Hardy Aviation Baron accident (pre2008), then again it doesn’t count. Nothing found wrong with the aircraft, I believe, but there was much discussion about the mental health of an occupant and by the severity of the impact, there is a school of thought that there was possibly some issue there that had nothing to do with the aircraft. Weather was fine on the day...

That’s the best I can recall from the information available at the time. Although with the resources available to Josh Cox (CASA) he might be able to provide further insight / information that we are not aware of.

Although older aircraft need to be properly taken care of, and certainly they don’t have the technology benefits of their successors, if well maintained, in well trained hands and operated within their limits these aircraft are still perfectly acceptable. Rather than focusing on the type / age of the aircraft, I reckon CASA should be looking at the quality of training around the country - as that is more to blame for the accidents we are having in industry. Josh Cox, no doubt, should also be able to rattle off dozens of examples of this without even trying too hard...