PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - all of that mess with RNAV app
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2018, 12:19
eckhard

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
They’re not the same
the GNSS EGNOS in Europe/ WAAS in USA have an LPV approach because use a combination of satellites that provide lateral precision and ground base station that provides vertical precision.
the LNAV/VNAV or just LNAV use just satellites, less precise
I am by no means an expert but my understanding is that the basic US-launched NavStar System (GPS) can be augmented in two ways: Space-Based Augmentation (SBAS) and Ground-Based (GBAS).

SBAS requires extra geo-stationary satellites. Over the US, these provide a Wide-Area Augmentation (WAAS) signal.
Over Europe, the SBAS is called EGNOS (European Geo-stationary Navigation Overlay System).
Over India, it is called GAGAN.

These extra satellites receive a correction signal from a master ground station, which in turn receives corrections from multiple other stations, spread over a wide area, whose position is accurately known.

The correction is broadcast from the geo-stationary satellite and is receivable over a wide area by suitably-equipped GPS aircraft systems. This accurate signal allows the application of LPV minima.

GBAS is a Local Area System (LAAS) which doesn’t require an extra satellite but uses a fixed ground station to measure any errors in the raw GPS signal and broadcasts the correction to aircraft in the vicinity. This then allows the use of a GPS Landing System (GLS) which gives the pilot guidance in a very similar way to ILS.

Although Boeing aircraft are not approved for LPV approaches, some are approved for GLS approaches. I take that to mean that they are not equipped to receive the WAAS or EGNOS signal but are equipped to receive the LAAS correction.

I don’t know about Airbus.