PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coming to fly in Oz as an American
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2018, 06:52
Seagull201

Originally Posted by xclozano
I'm really interesting in coming down to Australia and flying for a bit. I have quite a few mates in Brisbane and Melbourne. Very familiar (and in love) with the country.

I know you guys, much like the US, are experiencing a "pilot shortage". I know recently Australia has opened up visas for pilots so they can be recruited from overseas.

What are some Australian regional carriers that will sponsor an American on a visa ? What are some things I should know as an American coming into the aviation profession in Australia ?

I would love to come fly to QantasLink and move on to Qantas mainline. My goal would be to settle in Australia and carry out the rest of my career down there.

And before you get on your soapbox...I realise Aussie airline pilots make less than their American counterparts. Thats not important to me.

Thank you for your time and input.
Responding to your mail Sir, starting from line 1:

Quote: I'm really interesting in coming down to Australia and flying for a bit.
A bit?
A little, what ever you want to call it, you might as well stay here, once your here.

Quote: I have quite a few mates in Brisbane and Melbourne. Very familiar (and in love) with the country.

Australia gives out about 200,000 residency visas a year ( all categories), it will reduce to 160,000 next year.
There are 30,000 Australians per year, that aren't in love with OZ anymore and leave the country permanently.

Quote: What are some Australian regional carriers that will sponsor an American on a visa ?
Talk to REX airlines and Qlink (Qantas regional), if you can fly a Saab 340 or Dash 8, these are the people to talk to.

Quote:I know you guys, much like the US, are experiencing a "pilot shortage".

There's no pilot shortage here, only a shortage for flight instructors, nothing here compared to the U.S.
The general aviation charter sector (companies with piston twin engine aircraft), in Australia, are shrinking each year, companies are being forced to close.

Quote:I would love to come fly to QantasLink and move on to Qantas mainline.

Nobody is telling you not to come here, you could be good at all those psychometric testing at Qantas and extra medicals needed, just to get a job,
they will take you, BUT nobody on this website, CAN help you to get a visa to come here.
It's got to be your OWN work, to get the required visa.
It can be done.

Quote: And before you get on your soapbox

Soapbox?

You know something, i enjoy watching the "bold and beautiful", and Monday's show, will be the cream episode, since the show started.

Look, rent is about $450 a week for a 3 bedroom unit in the western suburbs of Sydney, a house, not under $550 a week.
A unit costs $430K in Sydney's west (1 hour drive to airport), a house costs $650K in the west to 1 million, a little bit closer and upwards.

I read the rest of your posts, it's really NOT worth being here, the tax system is high, dollar isn't worth much when travelling.
If your partner isn't working, you will get nowhere financially, on a single income here.

You can do much better in Aviation and financially,staying where you are, in the short and long term!