PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus' inverted light switches?
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2018, 12:57
Ireovac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbus' inverted light switches?

Hello everyone!

I am a flight enthusiast for decades, but this is my first posting at PPRuNe forum: please excuse me if I make something wrong. I didn’t find that there is another topic with similar question, maybe I didn’t search well.

I always thought that one of fun facts about differences between Boeing and Airbus is „off position“ of overhead light switches: I was sure that in Boeing „off position“ is closer to pilot, and in Airbus „off position“ is closer to the windshield. I based this knowledge on my experiences on jump seats, on photos and on high quality add-ons for Flight Simulators. For A320 Flight Deck interior I also like to consult 3D view at airbus.com.

Therefore I was surprised when I found that a320dp.com service shows Airbus' light switches like in Boeing – off positions (and retract position for landing lights) are closer to pilot. I didn't find any real life picture with this „inverted positions“ until recently, when someone show me the photo of United Airlines' A320 overhead at airlines.net (made by Allen Yao 2002) – there are „inverted positions“ indeed!

Are there some Airbus cockpits with one switch positions and some with other? Are there some „custom orders“ for overhead layouts from companies? I can't thing out any logical explanation. I would appreciate expert experiences and thoughts.

(I made active links to sites and photos that I refer to, but forum doesn't allow me to post URLs until I have at least 10 posts.)

Thanks!