PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are you a charter business
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2018, 05:58
Eddie Dean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rule number 7

Originally Posted by glenb
I own a flying school and have just been through Part 61/141/142. Now the new regs are coming your way. Good luck folk. A few well intended suggestions to surviving the regulatory change, drawing on my experience.

Rule Number One
Absolutely insist that CASA produce a comprehensive Regulation Impact Statement as they are required to by law. For part 61/141/142, they got away with this.
"The existing flight crew training businesses will be required to meet new standards however, again whilst these represent a deviation from existing standards the changes are
relatively minor, which is supported by the feedback that CASA obtained from the consultation process." It was woefully inadequate and grossly inaccurate. Don't let it happen to your industry. Make sure CASA get the preliminary work right. When they release it, review it carefully.

Rule Number Two

Make sure you have a good relationship with your CASA paersonnel. If you don't, start repairing it, but you will be highly dependent on them so make sure they have your confidence and trust.

Rule Number Three

Ensure your CASA contacts have been well trained before being released into the field. With part 61/141/142 it was obvious sufficient training had not been provided. It created a very difficult situation for the CASA personnel at the front line. With all the best intent they were floundering. They had been let down.

Rule Number Four

Be wary of dates. You must work towards any CASA nominated deadlines, but budget for the what ifs. If a date gets delayed, what will be your contingency plan.

Rule Number Five

Consider pushing for a staged implementation i.e. operators less than 5(?) aircraft have an additional 12 months to comply, to try and level the playing field.

Rule Number Six

Get together. The smaller charter folk are underrepresented. Someone step up, and form a small organisation of half a dozen of you to work together on the implementation and reviewing the Regulation Impact Statement. Someone like Ben from Airspeed Aviation should put his hand up. I think he even lives in Barnaby Joyces electorate.
Rule 7. Pay your contract LAMEs so they can eat as well.