PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet-5
Thread: EasyJet-5
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2018, 23:11
ECR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Albert Hall
I'd heard from someone recently that EZY were indeed looking at LGW-Dublin again - apparently a twice daily operation and somehow funded with competition remedy slots at LGW and DUB. Not sure of the background to it all, but there sounds to be some substance to the rumours.
From what I recall (and I may not have remembered correctly) the remedy slots which IAG would have to provide were for five slot pairs to be used on flights between London and Belfast and London and Dublin. At least one had to be to Belfast and at least two had to be to Dublin.

I would imagine that the slots from Belfast to London are the main attraction for Easyjet as it is between two strong bases, but to access the extra slots they will have to run twice daily to Dublin. It may be that as Easyjet would would only be running the minimum to Dublin that neither Ryanair or Easyjet would want to get into a price war and might tolerate each other.

I'm surprised BA haven't tried running some flights themselves on Belfast Gatwick to make it less attractive to any other airline that fancies a go with remedy slots.

How attractive the remedy slots really are though may be questionable, as Ryanair tried them, and presumably couldn't make them work as they handed them back. Virgin didn't make a success of the Heathrow Scotland remedy slots either.