PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down outside Leicester City Football Club
Old 27th Nov 2018, 15:55
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hihover
Crab, simply as a matter of interest and as I have easy access to a Level D 139 FFS, I had a go yesterday at using the technique discussed by you and DB. Even in the sim, and I knew it was coming, I very quickly became disorientated. I even found it difficult to take my hand off the collective to kill the engine mode switches. I felt I had no control whatsoever of the helicopter and was just along for the ride. No real thanks to me, the sim helicopter did remain level and I eventually put the collective down quickly. I got away with a successful level, spinning landing but I was very surprised at how quickly I lost all references. I carried out this exercise from 20 ft. From 400 feet I have absolutely no doubt it would be impossible. IMHO and as we seem to all agree, those poor guys didn't stand a chance.
Hi-Hover, take a look at the Cardiff Police TR Malfunction. In the report the Commander stated he got totally confused by the image outside the windscreen so he settled on looking out the side window. This seemed to provide enough references for him to lower the collective, power on, and accept a trade of between ROD and yaw rate. He states that as he saw the surface appearing he pulled the collective all the way up to cushion the impact. Power on throughout. However, I am not sure if the references in any SIM would facilitate this or indeed of the flight loop allows for a reasonable attempt. Different type (355) also.