PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WSO vs WSOp Questions
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2018, 15:18
Charliehotel47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by camelspyyder
Choose WSO, WSO, and then WSO.

And that's coming from a 36 year served AEOp / WSOp (who was always happy with his lot, I hasten to add)

1. The money is very important. When flying pay kicks in the difference is huge.

2. The promotion prospects as a WSOp are poor - the competition is enormous. The prospects as a WSO (given that its a near dead branch about to have a new influx of people) are surely much better.

3 Look ahead 8 to 10 years: one will probably still be a Sergeant, the other possibly a Squadron Leader. (then see how the money pans out - at a rough guess £40k versus £70k)

4.The chance of better and more varied postings, especially overseas, is generally going to be for WSO.

The Military is run by Officers, for Officers. If you have the chance that is the way you should enter the Service. Everything from pay, promotion prospects, responsibility, varied career development etc. points that way. Enlisted personnel do not have the same life at all.

By the way living in either Mess is awful. On base accommodation upgrades have correctly prioritised the Junior ranks, so many Messes date from the 1930's to the 1960's and are horrid.
Thank you,

I didn’t realise the promotion prospects in the WSOp branch were so poor. Do you mind if I PM you with a couple of questions?

Really appreciate the advice.
Charlie

--------------------------------
You can’t use the Private Messaging system in or out, add url links or images until you have an established posting history. Email should be open for you both in and out.