PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2018, 22:58
rickyrider35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passed OSB but got burnt by DRF.

So I’ve finally sat the infamous MACTS at East Sale. I’m not sure why I previously stated I would be heading on the 2nd of December when I was actually invited to attend from the 18th to the 21st.

Good news is that I’ve passed all the tests and they’re offering me the opportunity to attend any OSB I’d like with the exception of Army Direct Entry pilot, as the there’s been a backlog since a while back this year.
The issue is that while I could ask to be given a mission role and I would be able to enter ADFA in 2019 with my current scores, I was told that the score of my OSB from last year (FSP46) was almost definitely too low to make the cut for pilot (probably something to do with the fact that it only lasted 15 minutes since I had already failed my flying component), and so I would have to repeat it sometime next year, to then try and enter through ADFA or DE in 2020.

It’s pretty frustrating especially seeing as DFR didn’t set any OSBs up to follow ASP, whereas 8/10 of the kids that were attending my course had one a few days to a week later. It needs to be mentioned that they were not sure at that point if I would meet another OSB since I had already sat one and it is valid til the 1st of December, but I’m sure that if they had allowed me to sit FSP around September/October as was originally planned, they would have had time to book one in before the end of the year.

While I wait, I need to give them a numbered order for the OSBs that I want to attend. I think I’ll number RAAF ADFA 1, NAVY ADFA 2, Mission ADFA 3 and maybe put army pilot in fourth (highest required first), although I was warned that getting into an ADFA intake next year (2020 course) will be harder for me since I’ll be 20 going 21 and I’ll have completed two years of another degree. That being said, I don’t have much leadership experience past year 10 so I doubt they would consider me very competitive for a direct entry.
If anyone has any opinions regarding this they would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone know if in the event that you don’t make it as an ADFA entry for a particular service after completing both the OSB and the ASP, would that service still allow you to come in for a direct entry OSB or would they disregard you as soon as your combined standing isn’t high enough for one of the two options?
This is going to be critical in deciding the order of the OSBs, although we have been warned by the army representative at Sale that we could realistically get any possible order.

Thank you in advance to any replies.