PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stansted-3
Thread: Stansted-3
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 22:07
canberra97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daz211
I’m not too old, but I’m old enough.
My first aviation job was 3 months after the new terminal opened I’m a good old Air UK boy.
I also checked in what I believe to be Ryanair’s first ever “International Flight” STN-TSF.
im still in aviation and much prefer a bustling busy terminal to a terminal where all the days departures fit on half a departure board.
If you read my post your see that I was backing you up Daz you didn't need to explain yourself I'm on your side mate :-)

My first visit to the ''new'' terminal was in September 1991 a few months after it had officially been opened and I remember looking at the departures and there was at least three hours between the flights at one point, even the majority of regional airports within the U.K. had far exceeded that in 1991, Stansted considering it's history has with no doubt been a huge success especially as it was constantly referred to as a ''white elephant'' in it's early days by the media.

But I agree with Skip (as usual) that the walk through the shops straight from security is absolutely awful especially if you want to go straight to your gate trying to avoid the once a year travelers who dawdle through totally impeding anyone trying to get through in a rush, I know shopping malls are a predominant feature of airports throughout the world and on the whole I enjoy them and appreciate why Airports have them but Stansted is on a different level regarding this and I guess that's one of reasons that I haven't used the airport since 2015.

But I'm not knocking the airport in anyway whatsoever as I have quite an affection for Stansted stemming from my early spotting days at airport on a Sunday for those Scandinavian flights :-)