PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stansted-3
Thread: Stansted-3
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 21:05
Skipness One Foxtrot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The same poster always raises the original concept for the terminal design & always bemoans the fact that the business model is different now...well of course it is,the thinking was brilliant for circa 1979 but change in all areas of travel & airline business = REALITY,has ensured the airport operator(s) have had to change & re adapt functionality within the terminal,you would not expect a pro active business to do otherwise. but again the poster chooses to put his own interpretation & pet aversion (shops) on this reality.
In fact the original design & construction impedes to a greater or lessor extent functionality today at STN.
er.......what?

Look I have nothing against STN at all, long may it prosper and be successful, and kudos to the home crowd for supporting the home team.
But frankly, it could and should be better, much like MAN T3, same group, MAG. STN is growing so fast mainly because MAG will give the likes of Jet2 sweetheart deals to get them in, great value for an airline. However to make any money, the operator now has to slow down the passengers getting from A to B to make them spend as much money as possible in the shops. Now we know that they all do this, so the only arguement I have here, is that MAG have gone too far. Frequent fliers like me have no wish to spend time in the shops, hence to many of their core market, the passenger experience is very poor, you can see this on skytrax. But in fairness, let's see what MAN and STN look like in 5 years.