PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What kind of air service would suit remote Tristan da Cunha Island?
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 09:38
canberra97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vctenderness

Is that a definite no then?
Absolutely it's a definite NO for absolutely loads of reasons.

I don't know if you have read all of this thread if you had done so you would have read that I have actually been to Tristan da Cunha and I can assure you that your idea is not realistic whatsoever.

Is the UK Government really going to fork out money for a redundant aircraft carrier.

Where would this hypothetical aircraft carrier come from.

The costs of maintaining this hypothetical aircraft carrier.

The costs of staffing this hypothetical aircraft carrier.

For the amount of flights would it be realistic.

The waters around the island can be extremely rough.

The waters around the island are extremely deep especially for anchoring, there is no harbour just a very small breakwater.

The island has extremely bad weather throughout the year and the sea conditions are not good for the majority of the year along with extreme cloud cover.

No alternative landing strip in case of an emergency.

Fuel supplies for the aircraft would have to be thought of.

The list can go and on so hopefully this whole idea whether it's intended to be humorous or not should be put to bed immediately.

I remember on my one and only visit to Tristan da Cunha the seas were rough and the visibility was absolutely awful, the idea of using a redundant aircraft carrier as a landing strip sounds very unrealistic and to be very honest not very mature thinking, quite laughable to be honest with you.

From your previous posts on Pprune you come across as a fairly mature person so hopefully your comments regarding this particular topic are just made in jest and not intended to be taken seriously, I honestly hope not.